Name: Temporary Event Notice
Description: Temporary Event Notice

Temporary Event Notice

Please refer to our Corporate Privacy Notice and service specific Privacy Notices for further details of how we process your personal information and your rights.


You must apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a 'licensable activity' on unlicensed premises.

Licensable activity includes:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • Providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

The process of applying is formally known as 'serving' a Temporary Event Notice.

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, for example holding a wedding reception at a community centre.


Your event must:

  • Have fewer than 500 people at all times – including staff running the event
  • Last no more than 168 hours (7 days)
  • You must be at lease 18 years old to apply for a TEN

How to apply

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice
. You must do this at least 10 working days before your event.

You will have to pay a fee of £21.

You must send a copy of the TEN to the police and Environmental Health department at Dartford Borough Council  at least 10 working days before the event, but if you apply apply online, the council will contact the police and Environmental Health for you.
The date of submitting the TEN and the day of the event are not included in the total number of working days before the event.
You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.

When applying for a TEN for an event, DBC Environmental Health also require a risk assessment be submitted at the same time; specifically relating to Covid transmission/what mitigating measures will be in place at the event, please attach to the online application documents or alternatively email

There can be times when we may need more information than is collected in the TEN application. Should this be the case, we will contact you and ask you to provide further details. Information about this supplementary process can be found here.

Number of notices you can apply for

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.
If you're organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.

Late TENs

'The latest you can apply for a 'late TEN' is 5 working days before the event (but not earlier than 9 working days).
If you don't hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.


The council can't refuse a notice unless the police or Environmental Health object to it. If we have an objection we will raise this  within 3 working days of receiving it. We will  only object if we think your event could:

  • Lead to crime and disorder
  • Cause a public nuisance
  • Be a threat to public safety
  • Put children at risk of harm

If there's an objection, the licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a 'hearing') no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, the notice won't be valid and you can't hold the event.


If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates' court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your TEN

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

  • Dartford Event Notice

    If you are considering holding a public event, or you are going to be the organiser, then you need to complete the Dartford Borough Council Event Notification Form and then familiarise yourself with the contents of the Guidance for Organisers.

  • Pre-planning

    Detailed pre-planning is essential to ensure that your event is safe and successful.
  • Detailed planning

    It is important to bring everything together by recording the detailed planning for immediately before, during and after the event

  • Final preparations

    Just prior to the event carry out a detailed safety check
  • After the event

    After the event, another inspection should be carried out to make sure nothing has been left on the site that could be hazardous to future users. This inspection should also identify any damage, which may have been caused during the event.
  • Event risk assessment

    A full risk assessment should be carried out for all events. This will be a legal requirement in many circumstances
  • First aid and medical cover

    The Event Safety Guide (HSG 198) specifies the definition of a First Aider as: A First Aider is a person who holds a current certificate of first-aid competency issued by the three voluntary aid societies (or certain other bodies or organisations); St John Ambulance, British Red Cross Society or St Andrew's Ambulance Association.

  • Insurance

    As the event you will need to arrange insurance cover to indemnify yourself against civil litigation. This is referred to as 'Public Liability Insurance'. The normal minimum cover should be £5million. Seek expert opinion about your particular needs which may necessitate a greater figure.

  • Road closures

    For organisers with an outside event on or near the highway such as a street party, parade or carnival. Police and Council follow national guidelines which advise against holding events on the highway in the interests of road safety for both participants and other road users
  • Contingency planning

    Event organisers should consider the planning and management for emergency situations which require resources beyond the norm as part of their risk assessment - no matter how unlikely they are to occur
  • Licensing requirements

    Guidance, Application Forms and information on licensing requirements are available from the Council website: Licensing

  • Prevention of nuisance

    You need to be aware that there are four specific issues that cause public nuisance and need to be managed:
    A. Noise,B. Odour,C. Litter and waste,D. Light pollution.
  • Employment of stewards

    The Organiser is responsible for matters of public order and the accurate monitoring and recording of all persons within the Event Site and to be in a position to make such information immediately available on request to the Emergency Service or Council Officials
  • Safety Advisory group

    The Dartford Borough Council Safety Advisory Group deals with issues of safety at public events.

Last Updated: 16th September 2021