Deposit Guarantee Scheme
Are you trying to rent a property?
Are you having difficulties raising the deposit required?
If so, you may be interested in knowing that Dartford Borough Council have developed a Deposit Guarantee Scheme to enable people to gain access to suitable affordable accommodation in the Private Rented Sector.
This scheme is NOT open to existing Council or housing association tenants who are wishing to move. If you are over 18 and satisfy all of the criteria below, you may qualify for assistance:
- Homeless or threatened with homelessness;
- On a low income or unemployed;
- Eligible for Housing Benefit, Income Support or some other additional State aid;
- Unable to raise the deposit the landlord wants before you can move in;
- Have a local connection
- You have no known history of rent arrears, anti-social behaviour or damage to the property
How does the scheme work?
The Council will provide the landlord with a guarantee for the deposit (a promise to pay) to cover the deposit required, up to a maximum of four weeks rent.
In return you must agree to pay the rent on time and in full, not to cause any damage to the property or its contents and to pay the Council for any damage or unpaid rent which does occur.
If you think the scheme could help someone you know, further information can be obtained by telephoning Housing Options and Advice, Dartford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Home Gardens, Dartford, Kent DA1 1DR.
Telephone 01322 343114 or Online: Contact the Housing Option and Advise Team